1775 Broadway, 10th Fl.
New York , NY 10019
Phone: (212) 767-8600
Fax: (212) 767-8592
Link to their contact page.
Link to their contact page
Here's the letter I sent, feel free to use it.
I'm writing in wake of the increasing scandal around Daniel Tosh, Tosh.0 and his use of rape "jokes" and disregard for people's body autonomy and safety. Along with the well publicized incident where Tosh said "Wouldn't it be funny if that girl got raped by like, 5 guys right now? Like right now? What if a bunch of guys just raped her…". The alternative accounts of that event are little better as they still involve Daniel Tosh using a "rape joke" as a means to silence a woman, other stories have come to light.
- Daniel Tosh has encouraged his audience to tape themselves sneaking up on women and touching them without their consent. In thissegment he makes repeated jokes that are a regular part of rape culture.
- There is also a story circulating the web that on 6/14/11 Daniel Tosh showed the sexual assault of a teen boy as a Video Breakdown. Furthermore, during this segment Tosh made many racist jokes and rape jokes.
These incidents, and Daniel Tosh's lackluster apology, are completely unacceptable. Rape is a serious, endemic crime in our culture and Tosh's jokes only increase the problem. His jokes are likely to trigger survivors of sexual violence (of which 1 in 3 women and 1 in 6 men report being survivors of sexual assault). Some of his actions encourage people, often teen boys, to ignore and violate the body autonomy of women. He has laughed and made jokes while watching and broadcasting an actual rape. (The last two are actions all of Comedy Central are responsible for).
- Lastly there is also the news that when Daniel Tosh decided to remove the rape jokes from his new animated series the producers and editors were "freaking out, because most of the pilot is about rape."
I have reported the 6/14/11 to the FCC. I encourage you to take Tosh.0 off the air and sever all ties with Daniel Tosh. I will boycott Comedy Central, and encourage everyone I know to do the same, until this has happened.
If you want to really make life hard for Daniel Tosh and Comedy Central, report this to the FCC. To do so:
- Go to the FCC website for filing complaints here. Select “Broadcast (TV and Radio), Cable, and Satellite Issues” then hit “Next.”
- On the next screen, choose “Broadcast programs showing obscene, profane, and/or indecent material.” Hit next.
- On the next screen, choose “Complete the form” under “Online form-recommended method.”
- Complete the form and hit “Submit.”
The episode where Tosh showed the rape of the teen boy aired on 6/14/11.