Wednesday 28 March 2012

Babe, is this Sexist?

So the votes are in, and there was overwhelming support for "Strangers telling women to smile". 

Yes this is sexist, it's generally considered street harassment and is also emotional policing.  Because guess what?  Men (and other women) do not have the right to tell women what their facial expressions should look like!  Wild, I know, but you have no idea why my face looks angry/sad.  Maybe I just failed a midterm, maybe my cat's run away for the Bieberbillionth time, maybe land sharks have invaded Poland, or maybe it's just my default expression.  


Either way, no one has the right to tell me what I'm feeling or how I should express that on my face. I have the right to be angry or sad and show it.  I have the right to not smile!  They do not have the right to my smile (I don't care how awesome it is). 

Which is why, if someone demands/asks for you to smile (outside of formal photographs) I recommend you make this face...

Please make suggestions in the comments for next week's installment of Babe, is this Sexist?  and remember to check out Facebook page on Monday for the poll to vote for your favorite option! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you're commenting on an older post (14 days old or more) a moderator will get to your comment as quickly as we can.